Adding ClustrMaps to Your Blog Sidebar Using A Text Widget

Image of a ClustrmapsClustrMaps is a popular widget for class and student blogs because it reminds students that they are part of a global audience and demonstrates how connected we all are.

Students love seeing the red dots grow as their readers, from around the World, visit their blog.

Please Note:

On free Edublogs blogs you need to follow the instructions below for adding ClustrMaps to your sidebar using a text widget!

Creating Your ClustrMaps

1. Go to ClustrMaps.
  2. Enter your blog URL (e.g. your blog URL should look similar like this http://theedublogger.edublogs.org/) and email address then click on Make My Map.Image of signing up for ClustrMaps
  3. Copy the HTML code for Option A. Image of the embed code

Adding The ClustrMap To Your Blog Sidebar

1. Go to Appearance > Widgets in your Dashboard Image of widgets menu
  2. Click on the desired Sidebar to expand (so you can add the widgets) NOTE: In new blogs sidebars in your dashboard are empty and adding widgets automatically removes the default Edublogs widgets Image of widget sidebars
  3. To add a text widget, drag it from the Available Widgets areas on the left into the Sidebar area on the right Image of adding a text widget
  4. Drop the widget when you see a dashed line appear – this indicates the widget is in place Image of adding text widget to sidebar
  5. The widget will automatically open — just add the HTML code from Clustrmaps, click Save and then Close.  If you have trouble with the text widget or it doesn’t open — try changing your theme just in case there is an issue with it.Image of adding clustrmaps code to text widget
  6. You should now see your ClustrMaps in your blog sidebar and the dots will start appearing after 24 hours.

Image of clustrmaps in sidebar

FINAL THOUGHTS

If you need to grab new HTML embed code for your ClustrMaps just log into your ClustrMaps Admin area using your blog URL and password (sent in the original signup email from ClustrMaps).

Remember if you are an Edublogs supporters or Edublogs campus users you use the ClustrMaps Widget to add it your blog sidebar.

If you are enjoying reading this blog, please consider Subscribing For Free!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager @suewaters on Twitter

You may also like...

49 Responses

1. superstar101 says:

Hello Sue: Could you please check out my blog and give me some feedback on the posts. Is it good to have pictures in your posts? Thanks,

-superstar101

2. superstar101 says:

Hello Sue: Could you please check out my blog and give me some feedback at http://greyhounds101.edublogs.org. Is it good to have pictures in posts or does that just distract the readers from the writing itself? Thanks,

-superstar101

3. superstar101 says:

By the way, I love using Clustrmaps on my other blogs. It’s great!

4. Sue Waters says:

Hi superstar101, Checked out your blog. My personal opinion is I like to use images to grab attention. However interestingly enough I know of a well known blogger whose posts I really enjoy reading who rarely uses images and yet always writes posts that make me want to comment.

As a general rule though I recommend using images when appropriate.

5. Mr. Kinne says:

Sue,
    Thanks so much for your invaluable resource as the edublogger! I just started a blog with my 9th grade English students in the US, and we’re all very excited about the vast opportunities blogging can provide to expand our classroom and our learning! I added a clustrmap and I’ve learned how to embed video and polls into my blog posts. Blogging is so cool! If you have a second, check out our class blog at http://englishwithmrkinne.edublogs.org. It’s brand new. Currently my students are providing me with ideas about how to improve the design and make the most of our blog. I’m excited to see how this goes over the course of this year.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Eric K.

6. lorezaitalia says:

Hi i have a question after talk of map… it’s possibile make a sitemap in edublog for google submission?

7. shutterbuga says:

ok I have clustrmaps on my blog, but how do I get mixpod?

8. shutterbuga says:

how do I upload mixpod

9. erin26 says:

Hi Sue. I am new to the blogging trend and am in the process of building my first blog! Thank you so much for providing the information about adding ClusterMaps, i did not know i could do that. I am still learning about all the neat things you can do with a blog and all the terminology that goes along with it. I will try your steps to set one up on my page.

10. Louise says:

Thanks for this tip Sue. It was really easy to follow – I tried it and it works!! Wahoo! thanks again.

11. shutterbuga says:

yea but how can you make a widget out of someting else?(like eleteric box((it is a game)))

• Sue Waters says:

Exactly the same process – if it supplies Embed code you can add it to a text widget and add to your sidebar. Try Widgetbox they have lots of widgets and you can change the size to fit your sidebar.

12. mirc says:

nice page..
    thanks

13. reginarumford says:

I had a clustrmap on my blog, but now it is gone. I tried to add it again, but was denied. rumfordwriters.edublogs.org

14. zombokel says:

I have follwed all of the steps but when I get to the step where you click on “edit” in the blue text box nothing appears. It does not have anything that looks like step 3 it is just blank. Any ideas for how to fix this?
    Thanks!!!!

• Sue Waters says:

Can you confirm if you are using Edublogs or another blogging platform? Some times after you add the text widget you are best clicking Save Changes and then clicking on Edit to add the code.

15. katykms says:

Katy/ I am on page 66 of the book “Beyond Fair Chase” I have read about 145 min. at home this week.

16. Jill says:

I have followed directions on adding ClustrMaps onto my edublog site, but above the ClustrMap on my sidebar appears all of the html code. How do I get rid of the code so you can only see the ClustrMap?

Thanks,
    Jill O’Brien

• Sue Waters says:

Hi Jill

We’ve had to disable the ability to add embed code on free blogs due to the abuse by people who create blogs to promote web sites and products. We’ve had to now link ability to add embed code to Edublogs Pro blogs and blogs that have had extra features enabled on them by a Pro blot.

However, you can use the ClustrMaps widget. All you need to do is go to Plugins and activate the widget pack then add the ClustrMap widget to your sidebar by going to Appearance > Widgets.

17. Simran says:

thank you very much but i missed on step i got everything and i saved it so after when i went to my website my map was there with all the htm link above it how do i remove it??

18. Simran says:

i have the same problem as u i really need to get rid of that